Metroliner

Metroliner

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Introduction

I got into aviation through a part time job with Mesaba Airlines in Muskegon. It was January 1997, I was on the freezing cold ramp, loading bags, deicing and handling passengers.  My first airplanes were the Fairchild-Metro, Dash-8 and the factory fresh SAAB-340's. 

I spent 10 months in Muskegon before transferring to Aspen Co.  Following Aspen, I received a manager assignment in Ely, MN, Sault Sainte Marie, MI, Roanoke, VA and finally Detroit, MI.  I have been in Detroit for the past 10 years.  While in Detroit, I have worked in the above and below wing operations, hub control center and administration. In 2009, Delta merged the ground operation groups from Mesaba, Comair and Compass into Regional Elite Airline Services.  This changed my focus from working for an airline to working for a contract ground handler.  There is a definite change between working for an airline and working for a contract ground handler.  

I am at a point in my career where I need a degree to get to the next level.  I could move to a position at mainline Delta or possibly another carrier.  My career focus is in the areas of training and education as well as safety, security and compliance.

I am interested in NextGen and the changes it will make to the industry.  NextGen was a paper topic that I picked out the of the blue.  Through completing that paper, I found my interest in NextGen.

I am also interested in the state of the industry.  It is premature to say that the 50 seat RJ is dead but it's role is being diminished.  Delta is upguageing the 50 seaters with 76 seaters and 717's.  Will the other carriers follow?  What does this mean for the industry?





1 comment:

  1. Woah 717s? I'm surprised they would shift toward a model that is out of production. Very interesting! Protip: When you edit a post, your readers will not be notified of the changes. You might want to add a new post saying "see updates to previous entry".

    ReplyDelete